Public Relations Senior Specialist
January 11, 2017 -
The Public Relations Senior Specialist will assist the Public Relations Manager and Director of Communications to execute a proactive media relations program for the firm’s U.S. practice and individual lawyers. Collaborates with partners, U.S. marketing managers to implement institutional and targeted industry/practice media plans with reach to the legal, general, business, trade and web press. The PR Senior Specialist will also assist with newsletters and other writing projects as needed.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Within the context of business and marketing plans, implement media strategies that reflect the firm’s brand and positioning, disseminate key messages, and achieve the media coverage goals of the firm and practice groups.
- Research media markets via geography, industry and medium as necessary.
- Act as a point of contact with the press.
- Coordinate interviews and meetings with reporters and lawyers.
- Routinely meet and interact with members of the press to establish and maintain key working relationships.
- Position Dechert lawyers as “legal experts” for use by media.
- Actively generate and seek story ideas and pitch to local and national legal, general business and trade press
- Investigate story angles to improve newsworthiness of routine firm developments (e.g., office opening, big win, new partners).
- Write press releases, pitch letters and other publicity copy.
- Monitor advertising calendars of relevant publications and communicate/recommend opportunities.
- Advise lawyers and other Dechert personnel on press response techniques.
- Maintain various dechert.com Web pages, particularly those pertaining to news.
- Assist with effective media tracking.
- Assist with the supervision of the firm’s Public Relations Intern.
- Lead the production of internal magazine, including developing story ideas, drafting and editing articles, coordinating production schedules, and coordinating with outside vendors as appropriate.
- Assist with editing copy for firm collateral.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Superior oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of AP Style and the ability to learn and apply the firm’s writing style guide.
- Proven ability to deal with complex subject matter – preferably legal or financial.
- Knowledge of the firm’s policies and procedures.
- Detail-oriented and organized.
- Ability to prioritize and coordinate own work.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Polite, professional, positive, and collaborative manner.
- Good grammar, vocabulary, reading comprehension.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to learn new skills as they become necessary.
- Ability to function in a collaborative organization and be a team player.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- College degree with an emphasis on communications, journalism, public relations, or English.
- Experience with media placement required, broadcast placement experience preferred
- 5 years relevant experience.
- Understanding of legal industry preferred.
Location(s) New York
Time Type Full time
Dechert LLP is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination. The Firm prohibits unlawful discrimination in any term or condition of employment against any employee or applicant for employment because of the individual’s race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, marital status, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, disability, membership or service in the armed forces, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Apply here: https://dechert.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/DechertCareers/job/New-York/Public-Relations-Senior-Specialist_R-0193