Director, Media, Public Relations and Communications
January 1, 2016 -
Crowell & Moring LLP,
The Director, Media, PR & Communication provides senior public relations and communications leadership in shaping the firm’s reputation in the marketplace. The Director leads firm-wide integrated PR campaigns that support overall business development for the firm’s attorneys and offices and works closely with the management board and other senior stakeholders to counsel on communications matters ranging from publicity campaigns to crisis management.
- Creates and implements a proactive public relations program utilizing a comprehensive range of tactics, including traditional earned media, social media, and content creation.
- Works closely with other members of the Marketing & Business Development Department, practice group Business Managers, and practice group Chairs to devise strategies that raise the visibility of the firm’s innovation in client service, thought leadership, and key strengths of practice groups, offices, and individual attorneys.
- Provides crisis counseling, media training, and PR guidance to firm spokespeople as needed; develops key messages and Q&As as needed.
- Manages and professionally develops a Media, PR & Communications team.
- Manages PR agency and consultant relationships.
- Cultivates and maintains the firm’s relationships with key media contacts.
- Serves as a primary point of contact for press queries, conducts PR conflicts checks, and provides counsel on media opportunities.
- Secures and manages a wide range of media and other visibility opportunities, including media interviews, article placements, and market recognition.
- Writes, edits, and approves press materials (talking points, pitches, news releases, and other items), as well as certain other firm communications, including certain multi-media projects.
- Oversees the firm’s market recognition program, which includes managing the firm’s annual financial reporting, firm/attorney rankings, and pursuit of award opportunities relevant to the firm’s brand.
- Works with senior partners, firm management, and staff to support the firm’s internal communications program, including internal “good news” announcements.
- Edits or advises on the development of certain content for the department and/or practice groups, such as the firm’s online newsroom, blogs, etc.
- Assists the firm in identifying initial PR strategies for certain client matters, including the identification of potential agency/consultant referrals for client. Provides strategic support to the firm’s client alert program.
- Updates the firm’s PR Policy Memorandum on an annual basis in collaboration with the firm’s legal counsel.
- Oversees the tracking and internal reporting of PR coverage and performance.
- Works with other directors and managers to plan for potential business disruption, ensures critical data is backed up properly and creates business continuity solutions by testing and implementing various recovery plans enabling the firm to resume normal operations as soon as possible following a disaster.
- Protects firm and client information by ensuring compliance with the firm’s information security policies, safeguarding firm assets from unauthorized access, disclosure, modification, destruction or interference and reporting security events or potential events or other security risks to management.
- The position requires a Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in communications, public relations, journalism, or related field.
- The position requires a minimum of ten (10) years of increasingly responsible, directly related experience that included the direct supervision of others, financial management, and that demonstrated knowledge, skills and abilities relevant to the position.
- Equivalent combination of advanced degree, training, and experience may be considered with a minimum of six (6) years of professional experience relevant to the position.
- Law firm or legal-related experience highly preferred. Public relations agency or journalism experience preferred.
Crowell & Moring LLP offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package which includes progressive options such as back up child care, wellness programs, cultural events and social activities. We are convenient to all Metro lines and offer reasonably priced on-site parking. We take great pride in our positive, friendly culture that rewards hard work and achievements, at the same time recognizing the importance of family and community service.
To apply, candidates may submit their resumes online at:https://www.crowell.com/Careers/Professionals and click on opportunities.
Crowell & Moring participates in the E-Verify program.