Business Development Specialist
October 8, 2019 -
Goodwin Procter LLP,
Make an impact at Goodwin, a global 50 law firm with a history of working on groundbreaking matters, and an increasingly focused approach to working with clients in the financial, private equity, real estate, technology and life sciences industries.
Our more than 1,000 corporate and litigation attorneys leverage their specific experience and assemble full-service teams to advise clients in these and adjacent industries.
- The Business Development Specialist will plan, organizes and implements business development activities that support the global growth of the firm and specifically the practice(s) to which s/he is assigned. The Specialist must be a self-starter with the ability to work alongside the Business Development team, and independently, to guide, direct and advise lawyers in a sophisticated marketing and business development environment. The Specialist often serves as the front line of business development and marketing support to lawyers and professional staff across the firm.
Responsibilities include supporting initiatives that align with the groups’ marketing and business development plans; execution of client relationship-building activities; tracking and reporting on business development activities; and supporting effective thought leadership campaigns.
What You’ll Do:
- Work with the practice areas to determine effective, detailed approaches to pursuing new business (including cross-selling and client institutionalization efforts) while driving follow-up and implementation.
- Develop customized responses to pitches and RFPs/RFIs and other marketing collateral for new business opportunities and client meetings; work with the Pricing and Project Management team in developing alternative fee arrangement proposals and other value adds.
- Plan and oversee relationship-building activities such as client events, sponsorships and conferences in support of group goals. Manage event logistics, internal/external communications, budget and vendor/venue relationships. Develop targeted invitee mailing lists. Report on RSVPs and who-knows-whom.
- Assist attorneys with maximizing event involvement by identifying opportunities for client and target touch points.
- Proactively collect feedback after the event and encourage follow-up activities. Report on return on investment.
- Collaborate with the library and Market/Competitive Intelligence team to review in-depth research and analysis of clients, prospects and competitors to determine a strategy for outreach.
- Work with the firm’s Communications team to create targeted, strategic submissions for practice-related and attorney rankings, surveys and awards, including Chambers, Legal 500, Am Law rankings, Best Lawyers and other industry-specific/geographic/attorney demographic awards programs.
- Maintain practice group/industry descriptions, web content, transaction lists, case studies and other marketing content to ensure that material is compelling and up-to-date.
- Track, analyze and evaluate activity associated with business development initiatives across the firm and recommend strategies to increase the initiatives’ overall effectiveness.
- Support thought leadership campaigns, including project management and mining of campaign data for business development opportunities.
- Identify and partner with key industry organizations.
- Provide back-up as needed to fellow members of the Business Development team.
Who You Are:
- 4+ years of experience in marketing or professional services business development, ideally in a law firm or other professional services firm.
- Previous experience supporting litigation practices or specific industry sectors is a plus.
- Minimum BA, BS or equivalent
- Able to interact with partners, key clients, colleagues and service providers. Highly professional presentation.
- Detail-oriented, organized, self-directed and able to manage multiple projects in a matrixed, fast-paced environment is a must.
- Ability to effect change and motivate a diverse group of partners.
- Flexibility, willingness and ability to work with a wide variety of people and projects in a collective and collaborative manner.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, and strong analytical skills.
- Strong computer skills including proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite. Experience with InterAction or other CRM tools and databases a plus.t
- Travel: Occasional; international travel is possible
- Environment: office environment
For more information and to apply, click here.