Business Development Manager
June 1, 2016 -
Boston, Silicon Valley or S.F.,
Goodwin Procter is looking for a Business Development Manager for Private Equity to join our team in Boston, Silicon Valley, or San Francisco. Reporting directly to the Director of Business Development for the Firm’s Private Equity practice, this position requires an individual who is a self-starter, possesses a client focused mentality and is highly service oriented.
Responsibilities include helping shape the strategic positioning for the practice within the context of the Goodwin Procter brand; supporting client relationship-building initiatives, facilitating cross-selling opportunities with other practice groups; lead generation; and identifying effective “thought leadership” opportunities for the attorneys.
The Business Development Manager will work closely with the Director of Business Development to:
- Initiate and support client relationship building activities and other activity that will help the firm to institutionalize its client base and grow top line revenue.
- Write business development plans for primary and sub-practices.
- Work with the partners in developing and implementing personal business development plans and network expanding activities.
- Track and provide monthly updates detailing business development activity and successes (win/loss ratios, referrals, return on networking investments, upcoming activities).
- Oversee research and related competitive intelligence activity for key clients and prospects, working closely with the firm’s Senior Manager of Market & Competitive Intelligence. Monitor the business development strategies and related activity of key competitors.
- Coordinate and develop responses to RFPs/RFIs; working with the Director of Business Development and Managing Director of Pricing and Project Management in developing alterative fee arrangement proposals and other value adds.
- Assist in the full and complete integration of lateral associates and partners.
- Identify and prioritize key organizations and events in which the practice/partner will participate.
- Develop and manage budget for practice-related marketing memberships, sponsorships and hosted events.
- Negotiate contracts, speaking slots and other related benefits.
- Develop targeted invitee mailing lists. Report on RSVPs and who-knows-who.
- Attend events and assist attorneys with making connections at events; report on return on investment.
- Work with the Senior Manager of Marketing Systems and Marketing Content Specialist to ensure that practice descriptions, data sheets, web content and other marketing materials are compelling and up-to-date.
- Identify appropriate matter tracking activities for the practice ensure appropriate details are captured in the firm’s experience management system for easy output to proposal materials.
- Identify and manage review and submission of data for all relevant league tables and deal listings for corporate practices, as well as review and analysis of published results for practice leaders. Develop relevant client/prospect communications based on results and work with Communications group to identify league table rankings that merit external communications support.
- Work with the firm’s Communications team to create targeted, strategic submissions for practice-related and attorney rankings, surveys and awards, including Chambers, Legal 500, Am Law rankings, Best Lawyers and other industry-specific/geographic/attorney demographic awards programs.
- Work with the Director of Communications to develop and implement public relations strategies that further the group’s goal for positive media exposure and visibility.
The successful candidate will have:
- 3 – 5 years of management level experience in a practice management, business development or marketing role, ideally in an AmLaw 100 firm. Previous experience in the Private Equity sector is strongly preferred.
- Strong writing and editorial skills, with particular attention to detail.
- Strong project management and process implementation skills.
- Flexibility and ability to work with a wide variety of people and projects in a collective and collaborative manner.
- Travel to other Goodwin Procter offices is required.
- Minimum BA, BS or degree equivalent.
To apply, please click the link below to visit our professional services career page and view the job description.